Personal project I started recently. Still very early stages…
The truth is out there.
One of the “Big Tasks” I had in Star Wars: The Old Republic, was to establish the polyflow of all body types.
In a project this big, it’s truly important to find ways to save time anywhere possible. So, in the case of the different body types, I wanted to find a polygon layout that would work well on the big dudes or on the skinny girls, and anything in between. This saves time in many different ways.
Having a unique mesh allowed us to have the exact same UV layout for all bodies, saving texturing work. Saved time on skinning for animation. Saved time creating the different attachments, consistent with each and all body type.
Besides the base bodies, I was also responsible for creating all the main archetypes of our garment system.
All these parts are interchangeable, and made for all body types, at the end, there are hundreds of possible combinations.
Over the past four and a half years I’ve been working on the same project, StarWars: The Old Republic.
Last December we have launched the game, and now I can start to show some of the stuff I made.
There’s still a lot more to come but, for now, I’ll post some of the ZBrush work.
Starting with this one, the Tauntaun.
I remember the first time I saw it on the movies, I was around 8 years old and that scene at the beginning of The Empire Strikes Back, where Luke rides the tauntaun over the frozen surface of Hoth, impressed me as no other movie scene had impressed me before. I remember thinking how awesome that creature looked, and I said to myself: “When I grow up, I want to do this!”.
When, more than two decades after that, I was told that I would be modelling the tauntaun for SWTOR, it was a lifetime accomplishment.
My “Brief Considerations About Materials” tutorial was included in 3DTotal’s gallery
I have just added a new page to my blog: Tutorials
I hope I’ll be able to keep them coming. Right now there’s only one available.
It’s a start :)
I hope you find it useful.
Important: The following tutorial was written back in 2010.
A lot of it still makes sense, but some parts should (and will eventually) be revised to include the concept of PBR materials.
Brief Considerations About Materials
I originally made this tutorial for a lecture I gave at CCAA, a school in Brazil where I help running the Post-Graduation Course on Game Art.
It came from the necessity to explain some elements of the materials that are commonly misunderstood. Especially about Specular Maps that, sometimes, seem to be a bit more obscure for most people.
Most artists, in general, have a pretty good understanding of diffuse, normals, alpha, but it’s often on the specular map that they will get lost and some times even ruin a pretty good asset.
And I have finally updated my WordPress blog to the latest version! Hooray!
It’s still running and apparently the database is intact :)
I’ve noticed that some links of my professional gallery were not working, so I’m re-posting the images of the work I’ve done for these projects and linking them again in the professional gallery.
Hopefully the links will stay live from now on :)